One of the meanings of the Spanish word Potingue is 'brew'.
In our case it's an amalgam of musical tastes.
Flavors like bossa, blues, latin and jazz are some of the ingredients that make up the brew Potingue.
klik hier voor NEDERLANDS
sign our guestbook here
for CONCERT dates see our Facebook page
for SOUND/VIDEO SAMPLES
see our Soundcloud page and YouTube page
These musicians have crossed all of Europe with former projects, and feel at home on large festival stages as well as in more intimate club settings.
The band came to life spontaneously after some househeld jam sessions, when bossa-nova-guitarist Juan and bluesharmonicaplayer Ludo decided to expand their instrument-wise unconventional combination to a complete group.
Ludo had already worked with Peter's band 'Funky V' and knew that in him he had found another musical soulmate with ears open for diverse influences.
The cherry on top in this case is the solid foundation that jazz-bassist Dimitri provides in combination with drummer-percussionist Steven.
- Ludo Beckers - harmonica, harmonetta (BE)
- Juan Gabriel Moreno - Spanish guitar (ES)
- Peter de Herdt - vocal, flute (BE)
- Dimitri Meurrens - double bass (BE)
- Steven Michielsen - drums, percussion (BE)
- (occasional guests) Domingo de Jesus Lopez Diaz - marimba, percussion, keyboard (MEX)
- Gabriel Valeria - percussion (CL)
- Johan Maartense - double bass (BE)
- Ludo has a predominant blues history as background (nicknamed 'Lazy Lew' in those days).
He was member of ao The Zoots, Medford Slim Band, accompanied several American artists on tour throughout Europe, like eg RL Burnside, Zora Young.
Since discovering the so called overblow technique à la Howard Levy (chromatic playing on diatonic harmonica) he's bitten by music microbes of all sorts, bossa being just one.
- Juan, Spaniard with Andalusian roots, is also self taught and specialized himself in finger-picking Latin style.
He played with Stroke Two and Mas Cuerda and is member also of the bands Siempre Moreno and Trio Gua Gua.
- Peter is a self taught singer and without doubt a natural talent gifted with a very own sound palette. All this, mind you, with literally just one vocal cord, due to a mishap in a medical operation.
For some 20 years he was active in several bands as singer/guitarist and in 1998 founded the 7-piece band "Funky V", with which he played his own compositions only, influenced by funk, jazz, pop, latin, soul and blues. In 2007 he started a project singing in Dutch & Flemish: "Peter en den Achtergrond", and got in the half finals of NekkaNacht.
- Dimitri studied jazz at the conservatory of Antwerpen with Piet Verbist and followed workshops with ao Hein Van De Geyn, Aka Moon and Salvatore La Rocca.
He is also bassist for Koen Deca, Smooth! and Trio Gua-Gua.
- Steven got introduced to North African percussion styles by Abdellah Marrakchi and Laref Lakdar in the '90s. Simultaneously he worked on jazz beats with Dmitri Tsvetkov. Jazz influences further developped with the help of Herman Pardon (Jazz-Studio Antwerp), Guy Vaerendonck, François Thielemans and Nico Manssens.
Steven participated in many workshops and trainings since then, eg through Blue Note Festival (Idrissi Muhamad & Chris Joris), Jazz Middelheim (Stéphane Galland), Halewynstichting (Maarten Weyler, Dre Pallemaerts & Billy Hart's training in Dworp), Basboot (Mamady Keita), and had a year of percussion master classes through Clac Percussion.
Currently he is active as a percussion teacher (@ CLAC ao), percussionist and drummer in several music theatre projects (eg Salamanderman, Ros) and bands like eg Jazzilan (featured on Klara), Les Amis de Louis, Aardbeefman... and Potingue!
click here to mail Peter
+32 (0)497 21 21 98